Exciting news! Our first international Host Leadership Gathering is coming to London from 14-16 September 2016. This international festival of learning and leading brings together everyone interesting in ‘leading as a host’ – in organisations, as facilitators, as stewards, as community builders. Click on the pdf brochure below.
Wednesday 14 September 2016: Pre-conference introduction day, Meet Host Leadership with Mark McKergow and Helen Bailey (authors of Host). Plus pre-conference evening social meet-up hosted by Mark and Helen. The workshop can be booked separately or as part of a package with the rest of the Gathering. Full details here.
Thursday 15 September 2016: Host Leadership Gathering 2016 – featuring international speakers, activities, networking, discussions about using Host Leadership and other ‘post-heroic’ leadership models in areas including business, healthcare, public service, software development and online contexts.
Friday 16 September 2016: Follow-on Open Space day to engage with an even wider range of inputs and topics – come and bring your passions, ideas, experiences and challenges and convene free-flowing conversations . This day reflects our desire to host you and your passions as well as sharing ours, and is exclusive to Gathering participants.
Click on these links to find out more:
- Host Leadership Gathering 2016 programme
- Pre-conference workshop
Tickets are now available at http://hostleadership.eventbrite.co.uk/. Early bird discount available until 14 August 2016.
|Ticket||Early bird price (until 14 August)||Regular price|
|Gathering main day only (Thursday 15 September 2016)||£145 + VAT||£195 + VAT|
|Gathering both days including Open Space day (Thursday/Friday 15/16 September 2016)||£235 + VAT||£320 + VAT|
|Pre-conference workshop: Meet Host Leadership (Wednesday 14 September)||£99 + VAT||£125 + VAT|
|Gathering both days plus pre-conference workshop: Total participation! (14-16 September 2016)||£320 + VAT||£425 + VAT|
Ticket prices include lunches and refreshments.
Since the publication of Host in late 2014, worldwide interest has been growing in the paradigm of leading as a host, with Mark and Helen leading trainings and giving keynotes in the UK and internationally. Now we invite anyone and everyone interested in host leadership, or other related ‘post-heroic’ leadership ideas – to gather in London and join the next steps in developing and using these ideas.
Host leadership – the metaphor of leading as a host – is a powerful yet practical way to build engagement, performance and results. Some of you may have been using these ideas in various ways already, and some may be coming to them afresh. Whatever your experience, we are looking forward to welcoming you to London. We are offering:
- A varied and participative programme with lots of chances to meet other people including many who contributed to the Host book
- Contributions about experience of using host leadership in different situations
- A chance to get a firm grounding in host leadership for newcomers
- Opportunities to convene conversations around your own passions, challenges and ideas
- Connections with people around the world who are interested to lead and engage in new ways.
Thursday 15 September 2016
9.00: Meet, network, coffee
9.30: Opening session, welcome, greeting and connecting, preparing for the day
10.30: Lessons from hosting and hospitality: Harry Murray MBE (Lucknam Park Hotel, Chair of Directors, Master Innholders and ‘doyenne of the UK hospitality industry) in conversation about his experience and learning over decades leading and hosting.
11.30: Keynote: Prof Elena Antonacopoulou, University of Liverpool Management School, “The challenge for leaders and leadership today”
12.00: Why Host Leadership now? Short sessions about the benefits and attractions of host leadership from different angles, including:
- Host Leadership in the NHS: Annessa Rebair, senior lecturer mental health, Northumbria University, UK
- Host Leaders as Good Citizens in Software Development Organisations: Pierluigi Pugliese, Connexxo, Munich, Germany, agile and SCRUM developer
- Both Masculine and Feminine – stepping forward and back: Helen Bailey, co-author, Host
- The Gen Y/Millenial view – changing views of good leadership: Mike Brent, Ashridge Executive Education (tbc)
13.00: Lunch with table conversations hosted by the Host Leadership team
14.00: Parallel workshops
- Developing awareness as a host leader: Stephen Josephs (USA), author of Dragons at Work and Leadership Agility (tbc)
- Hosting in online contexts: Leah Davcheva, AHA moments Centre for working interactionally and making progress, Bulgaria
- Influencing as a host leader: Mike Brent, Ashridge Executive Education
- How Hosting embraces complexity and uncertainty: Dr Mark McKergow, Host Leadership and sfwork
15.40: Applications of Host Leadership: Short presentations and panel discussion about practical experience of using host leadership ideas
- Angela Gascoigne, Chief Executive, SHAL Housing
- Géry Derbier and Laurent Sarrazin, Rupture21, France. agile organisation developers
- Leah Davcheva, AHA moments Centre for working interactionally and making progress, Bulgaria
- and more to be added
16.30: Connector session to make contact with like-minded and like-positioned people
16.45: Closing, reflecting, looking forward to the Open Space day tomorrow.
17:00: Informal continuation in neighbouring pub The Coronet (which used to be a cinema!)
Mark McKergow and Helen Bailey will be leading a pre-conference training day on Wednesday 14 September 2016. ‘Meet Host Leadership’ gives you the chance to work with the co-authors of Host to discover not only the amazing metaphor of leading as a host, but also the detail underpinning it, the six new ‘roles of engagement’, and the four positions of a host leader. By the end of the day you will have a complete overview of the possibilities revealed by acting as a host in your own organisation, and with colleagues, customers and stakeholders. This is a wonderful opportunity to work with Mark and Helen themselves and get the very best start to your Host Leadership Gathering 2016. Full details and booking.
The events will take place at Resource for London, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA. This is in north London, on the corner of Holloway Road and Tollington Road next to the Waitrose store and close to Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium. It is easily accessible by Tube (Holloway Road station, Piccadilly Line) and buses up and down Holloway Road. Click here for a map.
There are no hotels directly on the conference site. You may like to consider the Premier Inn hotels at Angel, Islington or Archway – both are a short bus ride from the venue. (Angel Islington is closer to the centre of London, Archway is a little further out.)
These are early bird prices, valid until14 August when they will go up! Note that these prices include VAT and all taxes.
If you have any questions about the 2016 Gathering, please get in touch with us right away. Contact us by email at email@example.com, or call 08453 707145 (or +44 (0)207 609 3466 from outside the UK). We will be very pleased to hear from you.